Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Don't Forget Your Camera


   Another very important thing to be sure is in your tackle box is a disposable camera. You might even consider a camera you can put under water. That way you can put your hands and camera under the water when the kids are reeling in the fish and they can have the picture of their fish. You will be a hero for that.
   Beside, once you can talk the kids into using the fishing pole holders and leaving the rods in the holders, you will have a lot of pictures of them goofing around. Those pictures are as great or greater then the fishing pictures.
   The reason I said to bring a disposal camera is because you don't want to pull out your nice digital camera and drop it in the lake. This plays havoc with the camera. You might take your cheap phone too or at least put it in a waterproof bag. I speak on this through experience. I dropped a cell phone in the water and it cost me $250.00 to replace the phone. Please protect your things with waterproof bags.
   It is rewarding to have you camera with you when you go fishing without the kids. It's nice to take pictures of the landscape early in the morning. It is so beautiful and relaxing to just to enjoy it all. I like to put my head into the wind as we are riding the boat and just smell the wind and the bank. On three separate occasions I saw coyotes looking for something to eat, I saw geese trying to protect their nest from a fox. One of the times I saw deer and their fawns playing on the bank. One time we got very close to the river bank and say a miss of antlers in the brush and when we went over there we saw three very large 4 point and one 5 point buck. The antlers were all in velvet. This was beautiful and you guessed it, none of us in the boat had our cameras. Now that memory is just in my head and all I can do is talk about what I saw, not show anyone.
   One time I was standing on the bank, drift fishing for salmon on a small river by Everett, WA, Nothing happening so I cast my rod and let it set on the bottom and put my rod in the rod holder and I set down. After a while I heard the brush and the small trees move and something was coming towards me. I was a little concerned since we do have bear up there. Will as I was planning my escape a big doe came out of the bushes and when she saw me she froze. After about a minute the doe started very slowly backing back into the brush, not taking her eyes off me. It took a couple of minutes but she backed to where she felt comfortable  about turning around and leaving. A little while later I heard something coming up the river and when I turned around it was the doe walking in the water coming straight at me. She saw me but did not seem afraid and continued to walk up the river past me. Again, a Kodak moment lost.
   So, sit back, enjoy the scenery, put your rod in the fishing pole holder and wait for the action on the banks or in the water. Hopefully, it doesn't all happen at the same time. At the very least you want to take pictures of the fish caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment