Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Choosing a fishing reel

  Choosing a fishing reel can be confusing because there are so many to choose from. Most of the time you will purchase your fishing rod and fishing reel together as a package. Then all you have to do is decide what type of fishing you are going to do and buy the set and go fishing.
   I did this for a lot of years and was happy until I decided to buy a new reel because one of the reels broke that came with the set I bought. I want to move up in quality a notch or two to what come with the sets. I bought a spinning reel that had a finger catch on it so all you had to do is hook your finger around the line and pull back on the lever and that pull the bail back so you could cast, I didn't have to flip the bail with my other hand. I thought that was awesome.   
   Now picking out a reel for my grandchildren was easy. I bought them all closed face fishing  reels. They are a lot easier for them to operate at first, they only have one thing to do and that is push down the button. Now know when to let off the button is very important but you will have to coach them on that. This usually take practicing at home before you go fishing. As each one get good with that reel I move them up to a regular spinning reel. When they get good with that fishing reel I will move them to casting reels.
   When I purchased my first bait casting reel I purchased the rod and reel separately. Choosing the rod wasn't hard but picking out the right fishing reel was more difficult. I had to try them out to see if they could be adjusted easily and if it balanced well with my fishing pole. Once I figured that out using it was fun. With a casting reel, the better you get the more you can back off on the brake a little the more experienced you get and the farther you can cast with it.
   When I bought my first fly fishing outfit I just went for a medium price range sent and thought that was okay until that reel feel apart. I went to the sporting good store and boy did I get a lesson on fly fishing reels. Will the salesperson must have done a good job because I bought a much higher priced fishing reel than what I was going to buy. I am pleased I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment